How to sign up for ICQ
Updated: Dec. 28/2018
If you are not yet signed up you can join ICQ at
and download the current version or it will also work with
which is a universal chat client compatable with ICQ amoungst others.
Signing up will require that you have a cell phone with SMS to
activate your account. You'll have to:
Fill out the info on the
Unfortunately there is currently no way to set up an ICQ account
without having an SMS capable cell phone.
- Click where it says 'Request SMS' at the bottom of the page.
- Use the code you recieve in the SMS to activate your account.
- After you've done this you'll be able to log into the site by
using the 'log in with SMS' option so that you can log in and
set some other information.
- At this point make note of the IUN (ICQ User number) you've been
- Now you have to wait at least 24 hours
- After waiting 24 hours you'll be able to go to the
recovery page and by once again proving you are the same
person by recieving a text message you'll be able to set a
password. Take carefull note of the password you set.
- You'll now be able to use this IUN and password to log into the
site or set up the ICQ program on your computer or cell phone.
(Or input them into Pidgin to use ICQ through Pidgin on your
- Congratulations former AIM user!
Your refugee status claim has now been approved by mail.ru!
Welcome to the Motherland!
- I'm old enough to remember a time a few decades back that if
someone had told me I'd one day become a refugee from America
to Russia I'd be 'like wut?' ^_-
Also it only lets you set up one account per cell phone number.
If you are one of the lucky people who signed up with ICQ before this
was a requirement and your ICQ account runs fine I'd recommend that
you don't attach your phone number to your ICQ account.
The reason for this is you may need to help a friend who
doesn't have a cell phone sign up (one of my friends had to do this
for one of my other friends so it does happen) which you can't do if
the cell number is already used on an existing account.